-I got on the 88 bus to get to Church like always. Expecting there to be no seats like previous sundays, I was able to find not one but two open seats! I quickly sat down only to find the entire bench was collapsed to one side....clearly I was the only one who didn't know.
I switched seats when the bench behind me was available. I was staring out the window when we came to a stop. A man was selling fresh cool tunas at the stoplight. The chofer beckoned him so he he buy a bag. As I watched this transaction I noticed a beggar was also going car to car asking for spare change. His gaze found me through the tinted windows. He began to approach my window, lifting his dry withering hand he gave me a face, "Please, won't you spare me some change? Anything, I need anything you can give.."
My heart reached for the pesos in my pocket. The bus suddenly began to move as the light was now green, and we accelerated and he held my eyes and I his as we took off. I was unable to give him my change, my anything. It was like an unfulfilled moment in time, a piece of art unfinished in the Gallery of my life.
-Opening my lunch to the usual sandwich and apple, I found my sandwich had mold on it. I smiled because to me it was funny. I picked out all the spots. Unvictoriously, the sandwich still tasted very much like mold. I was thankful for something to eat at least. Having lost my debit card I've been unable to purchase food or water so it was a blessing to have my host family feed me three meals a day, even if they didn't notice their moldy bread. Two days later another moldy sandwich, but this time there was no way to eat it for it was quite covered. I have been so hungry and thirsty the past week. I would drink half the pitcher of water for dinner and save the other half for my roommate. After he had gone to bed I would then sneak down stairs to drink the rest of what he left.
I am so grateful for the food and water I have. I am so hungry all the time, but in all honesty of coarse I am just fine. But thinking of those who truly struggle, in places where bottled water is hard to find, food is scarce or unavailable, the idea brings to me a hunger. Eating is like a ceremony, a ritual, a celebration of life. An exchange of energy, color, smell, and taste. An exchange of life that every person should be able to enjoy. There is something divine about a child eating a watermelon, smiling, with juice running down his cheeks like a river of joy splashing on his face.
- Teotihuacan!
The night before was hell! I really have no idea what mosquitos' purposes are in life besides being the source of frustration and anger in humans. I was up all night due to mosquitos flying in my ear and eating me alive. 4:30 came quick, we walked to the school in the brisk silent early morning. Not a single car on the street, it was as if Queretaro turned to a ghost town. At the school we divided into different busses. I sat next to James from Istanbul, Turkey. I was excited to finally meet someone from that city as I studied all about its history last semester. We talked about world issues and our future career plans before everyone fell asleep. I would wake up occasionally to the majestic sights out the window. There was a fog at ground level illuminated by rays of sun. It was as if the bus was translated and suddenly we were on some highway in heaven.
Upon arriving we were greeted by a Papantla ceremony. A man plays the flute and drum as he and his comrades dance and make their way up a high pole as they attach themselves to a rope. they then wind up the rope on the pole and then fall back and hang. As the rope unwinds from the top they all start to spin in a circle upside down. As their rope extends they come closer to the ground. This dance is to the god of rain, Tlaloc. As the men come closer to the ground it is a symbol of the rain coming to the earth to give life. We set off to the Pyramids. In the middle of what seemed the town square we participated in a ceremony of brotherhood. They gave us a red band to tie around our head. After invoking the blessings of the gods over our new brotherhood and bond we split into groups to explore the Pyramids. Our guide was "Spider-man," is what everyone called him. He explained that Teotihuacan was the center of Astrology, Architecture, and Spirituality. The whole city was dedicated to Quetzalcuhatl, the only god to give his own blood so that man may live, which is why it was an honor to be sacrificed. They said that the whole city was extremely spiritual and a society of peace. We had another ceremony, with incense burning, they had us meditate. With our right hand open the told us to envision that which we desired most and then to grasp it. As I closed my hand slowly to the prayer of the speaker, I felt capable of realizing my dreams.
![]() |
| This position just seemed so appropriate. at first it was kinda just a funny epic picture, but in all honesty it is what I felt at the top. |
Being on top of the Pyramids was surreal. I thought to myself, "these people must have had the best legs hiking up these stairs everyday!"
At the top you could see all the Pyramids and the valley, truly to them this was the mountain of the Lord. They believed the hight of the Pyramids was in symbolism of being closer to the gods.
Later we were invited to participate in indigenous dances. As I watched I thought to myself, " in the beginning dancing was a form of worship, a form of prayer to the gods. A reverent sacred communication in which not with just words, but with music and the whole body one connects with the divine." I felt the spirits of these people. When we were allowed to join, it was an exhilarating high. Like a full expression of energy and life flowing out of all those who were dancing. I felt a bond with those around me and a connection to the divine. It was a true and real experience of letting go.
As I walked home from our trip I bought some sweet bread with the money a friend had leant me. I bought three because I was so hungry. As I made my way to the house I found a man passed out in the most uncomfortable position. I stopped, not really knowing what to do. I desired to help him but I also hate dealing with intoxicated individuals. The thought came to me to leave my two extra pieces of bread next to him. Perhaps he is having a difficult time to have drunken himself to incapacitation. Perhaps he has many things to deal with, and maybe, just maybe, when he wakes up to two pieces of bread at his side as a surprise, it will put a smile of hope on his face. I was so hungry, but as I walked away a stinging, yet soothing thought fell through me,
"We are all hungry Jesse..."


No comments:
Post a Comment