Today is our friend Karla's birthday. She is from Michuacan, a different state in Mexico and her family is not here with her so we all went out to pizza to celebrate her birthday. She is turning 19. It is funny to me that almost all the friends I have made in Mexico are 18-20 year old girls, I often feel like their big brother, which honestly is a special experience. Often times you meet people on a very superficial acquaintance basis, but for me I feel like more often than not I am always making close friends, and that for the time I am with them, they feel like family. This could be the reason I don't get homesick hardly ever.
Karla and I's favorite book is The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho. She lost it a while back after lending it to a friend who didn't even read it!.... or return it. So we thought it would be a good idea to get her a new copy for her birthday. I myself LOVE giving gifts, meaningful ones anyway. I had been excited to give her the book all week. We all signed the inside of it so it would be more special, not just a gift, but a memory that can be recalled every time it is opened. After we ate she got up to go somewhere and we figured it was a good time to give it to her, but we didn't have any wrapping paper. We were just gonna place it on her seat. Then we thought of the brilliant idea to wrap it in napkins! So we frantically wrapped it in our makeshift idea of wrapping paper and placed it on her seat. She came over and started talking to friends on the other side of the table. Sometimes when you are so excited for someone to open their gift these moments feel like eternity, she seemed to take forever to arrive at her seat again. But, as it always happens, she arrived.
About to sit down, she looks down, curiously at this random odd collection of napkins on her seat. Reaching down, she picks it up and gives us a curious smile. Not quite anticipating what is inside, she unwraps our birthday offering. When she sees the book, she lets out a small yell, and covers her mouth. She starts laughing and looking around at everyone, but I soon realize she isn't laughing, but crying. She is smiling profusely, and her movements are those of a nervous little girl not knowing what to do with herself in the moment. Tears stream down her face as she is unable to speak. I look over to my friend and give a fist bump, "We did it."
Happiness is a great thing and all, but when you have been able to bring sheer joy to a person's life, even for just a moment, that, that is truly a good feeling.
No comments:
Post a Comment