Thursday, November 6, 2014

Nationality and Secret Meetings

Nov. 6, 2014

Nationality

If there is one thing I hate more than satan, it is that being American gives you a bad name in many places abroad. In our Theories of International Relations class we spoke of the scenario that Mexico is part of the competitive international arena now but it does struggle with a lot of violence and corruption on a very high level. We proposed the idea of international "intervention," or aid more than anything, and if that would be a help or hurt. One side of the room had people who were more in favor of no because they think that Mexico knows what it needs. The other side said yes because it is apparent that the nation does not know how to fix the problem. And the middle was, well, in the middle. I proposed the idea for a political think tank, getting experts from all over to come together to figure out an idea of how Mexico can fix this problem. Then I was shot down by comments of how America's system was terrible and the representation was worse than Mexico, which is definitely not true, but the fact of the matter is that in Mexico there are countless deaths above that of counties like the EU and the US. No democracy is perfect but to counsel together and share with each other the ideas that are working, perhaps we can arrive to a more perfect idea of democracy and way to help put and end to corruption. But I am not America, I do not represent America on a political level, what I say is not in the name of America, it is in my own name, my own ideas. When in a debate we are trying to find the answer not surface our personal political judgements.


Secret Meetings

I was talking to my host mom about the current events in Mexico and we started talking about the massacre of Tlatelolco. She then told me that she lived there, where it all happened. She had a neighbor that always invited her over to eat. The sweetest and most beautiful seƱorita is how she described her. In her neighbor's home or nearby, the leaders of the movement would meet in secret to plan there protests and plans. She described what they wore and what they would talk about. After the massacre of Tlatelolco she spoke of how they would pile the bodies on trucks and take them away.
"I was a witness," She told me, "I saw and heard things that no one else knows about. There, where they had the secret meetings in the night."

No comments:

Post a Comment