Sunday, February 8, 2015

1001 Albanian Nights

Every weekend the evenings are full of outings and adventures. Albanians have a wonderful way of hanging out. Going out to get drinks with friends and just talking is their version of a good time. This is something I am planning to take home with me. Sometimes it is hard to find something to do, but what better than to get out of the house, go out for some hot chocolate or something fresh, and just chat. There is nothing like a group of souls sharing experiences, opinions, and great conversation. 
Our friend took us to the top of what we call the "sky tower," a big building with a rotating café at the top. In about 40 min you will have seen the city in every direction. But not knowing I put my things in the window thinking it would be a great place. The windows don't move, only the floor, so 10 minutes later when it is time to pay, my things have disappeared! luckily all was found.
We also had a çofta night. It is like a sausage that they put in bread kind of like a hot dog. It is quite delicious. I always enjoy spending time with the Beleshi family. They make Albania feel like home. 




This last weekend we were invited to a special restaurant. They had live music, great lighting, great food, and the ambient was incredible! 
We ordered our pizzas and began eating. I asked if they had any hot sauce (love hot sauce on pizza, learned that in Mexico). They had Tabasco which is alright. I had the daughters of the family try it. The older daughter likes spicy, the younger thought it was pretty hot, but surprisingly she kept putting more on! 
The live music started to play a traditional song and everyone began to get up and run to the space in the middle of the room. Sister Beleshi urged us to go. Eti, Anja, Brady and I got up and ran to the middle to join the dance. It was a circle dance where everyone did the same steps in the same direction. The circle ended up making a swirl. The people were so passionate and into the dance! Everyone was smiling and laughing, I couldn't help but let my mouth join. I stumbled a few times but after about 3 minutes I got the hang of the steps. After a bachata like song came on and I taught Eti to dance bachata. Later a merengue like song came on and I danced merengue with Anja. And lastly there was some free dancing and more circle dancing and Sister Beleshi joined us. She is such a fun lady! We all danced the night away! I thought Latins were the only ones who knew how to party, but these Albanians sure know how to have fun! Ladies in the table next to us were getting up on chairs and singing along to the songs. It was magical how happy everyone was. Felt like home. Dancing for me is such a deep and uplifting experience. I feel that it is a form of worship, a way to show gratitude for all the blessings received. For music, for your body, for movement, for life. Dancing is like a tap into another place, far from where you are. Everyone involved enters paradise for a time. A place full of color, melody, spirit, movement, music, and most deeply, harmony.

 pretty sure it was ladies night at this table



No comments:

Post a Comment