Sunday, March 1, 2015

Durrës


I went to Durrës, a coastal city to the southwest, where my boss lives. He had us check out the mosque and then the amphitheater. The mosque is way bigger than the Et’hem Bey Mosque in Tirana.



I went in, slipped off my shoes, and treaded onto the carpeted floor, down the steps into the main room. I found a spot in the back and sat down. As I stared at the other men, I noticed rest. Many came in and sat down like me and pondered. Many older men wobbled down the steps, found a spot against the wall, helped themselves down and let out sighs of relief from whatever they were carrying in life. The Imam began to speak and give a sermon. I had my own moment, pondering, and I thought to myself, “I love this place.” I offered my own prayer for guidance in direction in my path in life. I felt so much peace and wonder just sitting there in a place I felt was close to God.

There is an amphitheater there that was constructed in the early 2nd century A.D. It was discovered in 1966. They held gladiatorial games and theatrical performances seating up to 18000 spectators. It was later turned into a church. It has ancient mosaics that are surprisingly well preserved. We gave a Book of Mormon to a man at the entrance who asked about us and we wound up on the topic of Religion. 

Our boss took us to another small city called Fier. Throughout the travel we spoke of our research proposals he is helping us write. I realized that I am a poor writer. I also feel I have not received a lot of opportunities to write proposals and research papers in college. I wrote a lot of essays, short dinky little things that students do in like an hour. I wrote one actual research essay in English 102, and then in my study abroad in Mexico I had two big research papers to write. Now I am having a hard time. I wish I had written more. I am grateful to my boss, for his generosity t help me write better; prepare me for my Master’s. We spoke of politics on the drive back. I was fascinated by the story of his education. I learned to always say “yes” to opportunities in college, like this opportunity. Later, as we were talking politics I realized I am possibly a middle-left Democrat as opposed to a Republican. I share many values with the conservative side, but I think like a liberal. I am not quite sure.

It was an enriching experience in which I was able to have some true reflection. My boss is a great leader, and is truly helping me live to my potential. He is patient and encouraging. Most importantly, he doesn’t give me the answers and he won’t tell me what to do, he pushes me to figure it out on my own. I am very grateful I took this internship.



No comments:

Post a Comment